Jonathan’s Birth

I asked my mom to write Jonathan’s birth story…here it is in her words. Made me cry!

It was right before 10pm on 1-26-10 that I got the call to come to the hospital. I came loaded with pillow, blanket, reading materal and snacks because I was not leaving the hospital until my grandson was born. It was such an honor to be asked to be there and to say I was excited is an understatement.

When I got there, Crystal was still being checked in by nurse Amy. It appears they knew she was coming, but none of the medications were ready. My duties were simple…I was in charge of drinks (at first) and ice chips later. Once I found out where they kept them, I think I made a hundred trips–lol!

After medications were given, the nurse said that she would give Crystal a sleeping pill and that it was “quiet–lights out” for the night. I settled into the pull-out bed and full of anticipation, managed to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night I sensed that Crystal was up and found her crying softly. She was upset that the birth of her baby had to start with pitosin (sp). After assuring her that it really does not matter how babies get here, we both fell back to sleep.

In the morning a too-cheery aid came in with menus for the day. After that, breakfast arrived and Crystal ate a bite or two knowing that Josh would be bringing her bagels later.

The pitosin was not supposed to start until after 12 hours, but because Crystal was coming along so well, they gave it to her early. Unfortunately, it was before Josh appeared with bagels and juice and beautiful flowers. Crystal’s bagel would have to wait, but (guiltily) I ate mine.

Once the contractions started, Crystal’s facial expressions did too. We watched on the monitor to know when they were coming, peaking, etc. I was amazed that even though Crystal was obviously in discomfort, she was very quiet and not the least bit grumpy.

It is noteworthy to say that during Crystal’s labor/delivery experience Crystal had 6 nurses. Fortunately for us, the very best and Crystal’s favorite–Mel Reveal is the actual nurse that was there for the delivery. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Once the contractions started getting serious, a nurse came in and told Crystal that she could have an epidural anytime she wanted—did she want it now or wait a bit? Crystal said “yes”. When an epidural did not arrive, Josh and Crystal wondered what was taking them so long. I said I think it is because the nurse thought you wanted to wait a bit and you wanted it now (the nurse certainly should have clarified that before she left.) Josh want in serach of the nurse and the epidural.

Suddenly the room was filling with nurses/anesthesia staff and we were told, “only one of you can stay and I don’t care who.” Obviously I high-tailed it out of there as quickly as possible.

After the epidural, Crystal seemed in better shape, but you could tell that she still felt the contractions. they just weren’t as sharp. What a trooper! From my own first experience in labor, I gave Tom a really hard way to go…”don’t touch me, get back here, rub my back, don’t leave me….” Crystal was very determined, but very quiet and sweet.

Tom arrived early in the afternoon having picked up something from Josh and Crystal’s house. On his way back home, I road down in the elevator with him and Crystal’s doctor. He recognized me immediately and after introducing the Dr to Tom, the Dr said, well we should have a baby by dinnertime. I liked Dr Samol from the start. He was very personable and has a good bedside manner.

Into the afternoon, they gave Crystal a shot to help her rest and Josh and I played cards. After the nurse assured us it would still be awhile, I told Josh he should go out and get something to eat….my mistake! No sooner had he left than all hell broke loose…Crystal went from 8 to 8 1/2 to 9 quickly and as the monitor showed, JT’s heartbeat went down and didn’t readily come back up. I’ve never seen so many nurses in one room! They were trying to get Crystal in a position that JT liked and then gave her oxygen. A DR Robinson came in who would be on call since Crystal’s DR had gone home and was 20 minutes away. Dr Robinson was cracking jokes and trying to put everyone’s mind at ease while Crystal and I were scared that JT might make his arrival before Josh got back. We had made frantic calls & texts to Josh and poor guy, he came right back and still had nothing to eat!

Shortly after Josh got back and the doctor had finally arrived, it was time to start pushing and since Crystal knows I am very queasy around blood and stuff, that was my clue to leave.

Tom had arrived and we went to the waiting room to watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy…ok, who was really watching? I think both of us were praying. I kept going back to the nurses station to see if they knew anything and to listen outside the door in case I heard a baby cry. Several families were in the waiting room and we all were doing the same thing.

At last I went to the nurses station and asked what was going on. The nurse said curtly, the doctor will be out to see you shortly…ok, what does THAT MEAN? So I hovered near the door until I heard the sweetest sound in the world…a baby’s cry. Jonathan Thomas Maag was here!!

Tom and I got to hold him when he was just minutes old….what a blessing, wonder, indescribable. Crystal looked absolutely beautiful–not like someone who had just gone thru 9 hours of labor and Josh was beaming holding his little boy. 10 perfect little fingers and toes and so beautiful! His little head was well shaped and his color was pink…a healthy 9 lb 3 oz and 21.5 inches long.

Thank you Crystal and Josh for letting me be there to witness this great time in your lives. You both definitely “done good” and you have made a beautiful little boy. May God bless your perfect little family always!

1 thought on “Jonathan’s Birth

  1. aww :) I feel like I was there :) so, as I am not queasy around “blood and stuff” I would be honored to be there for your next delivery if you would want me there!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.