My Great Week

The first week of September 2011 is one of the best of my life. One week ago today, Sept 2nd, Josh and I were quietly celebrating 5 years of marriage. He hadn’t made any big plans because there were other Bigger plans to celebrate at any moment–which came on Sept 6th. We went to Unos with Jonathan and then to Culvers to for ice cream. A simple celebration which we shared with our little boy.

On Saturday the 3rd I went into the nursery and started arranging some baby clothes, I am not usually a procrastinator but knew this wasn’t truly urgent so it could wait. Well, my heart couldn’t wait any longer…I snuggled the little clothes and softly cried to myself as I waited for my next little boy to come into this world. He’d already been in my world longer than 9 months and I had a heavy heart that night. I truly thought he would have been here by now. But alas, I was still waiting. Josh came in and we talked for a bit–very content with our decision not to induce him any earlier and knew he’d be here soon.

Sunday came and went…Monday came and went…no Labor Day for me. The weekend was spent relaxing around the house, waiting, playing with Jonathan and more waiting.

We have a BIRTHDAY!

I will write a post officially about his birth, but quick summary: Monday night had pre-labor signs but didn’t get too excited as it could be a false alarm. I woke up around 2:30 feeling like my water may have ruptured but it hadn’t so I laid in bed and contractions started–went and got Josh at 3:30 to time the contractions and by 4:30 or so we needed to call the DR as my contractions were getting closer together and stronger. They advised we go to the hospital so called mom to come take care of Johnny and off we went.

Around 9 hours later, God gave me another precious gift. Jeremiah James Maag was born into this world weighing 9 lbs 5.2oz and 22 inches long…also scored a 9 9 on the apgar test beating his brother on all measurements except possibly his head. I am so in love with him and was quite relieved when he was here, healthy and secure in my arms.

When Jeremiah was a few hours old he got to meet his grandparents, Aunt Case and big brother Jonathan! I couldn’t wait to see my big little boy, I was missing him by that point. Once the boys were able to meet Jonathan immediately knew something was up and made the scrunchiest little face as if to say send him back, I don’t want him yet! He wasn’t ready to give up all of mommy and daddy just yet. However, once we arrived home he definitely warmed up!

Our stay at the hospital was another great experience, we had great nurses and I felt well taken care of. I was in a lot of discomfort with back pain and cramping due to nursing but the nurses gave me good advice and Josh was very supportive. He had visits from my parents, sister and a few friends–the perfect amount in my opinion.

We decided to stay all day Wednesday vs. going home, I think my OB and the pediatrician liked this better than us leaving even though both cleared us to leave if we wanted to. We took advantage of the nursery at night to help us get a little more sleep than we knew we’d be getting at home. However, the highlight of this day was seeing Jeremiah hold his head up! He held it up off of my chest first but then I saw him do it several times in Josh’s arms and I tried to snag a few pictures of it. Pretty remarkable for being 1 day old!

Thursday we were discharged, we went home settled in and Josh went to pick up Jonathan from my mom’s care. I was so excited to be home as a family of 4 and couldn’t wait to see Jonathan, my heart missed him quite a bit in the hospital. Once he was home, he saw Jeremiah and said “baby” and even took the little giraffe rattle to Jeremiah!! Soooo precious. I knew he’d be a good big brother:-) So far he is continuing to amaze me and has shown limited signs of jealousy. When they met at home, Jeremiah was in a bouncy seat but when I picked him up for the first time Jonathan got a little jealous and did this mehmemehme type of cry. He came and put his head on my shoulder and I hugged him with my other arm and comforted him and he was fine. It was precious though broke my heart a little at the same time. Fortunately, he’s done this minimally and overall is adjusting very very well to having his little brother around. Our first night home went better than with Jonathan but still went through several outfits–what is it about being at home and peeing through so many outfits??

Friday–first full day at home. I am so glad Josh has this time off work. He is such a wonderful daddy and does a remarkable job with Jonathan. Things have worked out well for Josh to focus mostly on Jonathan while I care for Jeremiah. The day went smoothly for the most part though I did get peed on for the first time and was left at home with Jeremiah by self. Being home with him was fine, doing this for the second time has been much easier (so far!!) for me as I know what to expect and Jeremiah is pretty calm though I have been peed on at least 4-5 times now (as of Sunday night). I’m working to get better at not letting that happen! Friday evening my parents brought us a wonderful meal and we had a mini celebration for my mom’s birthday. We had cake and ice cream and Jonathan was so happy he wasn’t a baby because he got the cake and ice cream too!

Saturday- I was left with Jeremiah again while Josh and Jonathan went to a baby shower for Dan and Barb. Timing worked out best this way and I was actually able to nap when they were gone. I feel so much more comfortable with Jeremiah and at ease being with him than with Jonathan. I know that is what parenting experience gets you but it still amazes me. I can shower, take care of myself, nurse, snuggle my baby, etc without panic or stress (so far!). And, Jeremiah is a little cuddle bug! He loves to migrate from my shoulder during burping to the center of my chest where he can feel my heartbeat. He has his little legs curled up and just falls right asleep–I am in heaven. Jonathan never liked to cuddle so I am so excited to have a snuggly little one, though when Josh goes back to work this might be a challenge as I’ll have to take care of Jonathan too 3 days a week. Saturday evening ended with a wonderful visit from Dan and Beth. We enjoyed dessert with them and talked for hours–so blessed to have them as such wonderful friends!

Sunday- today was the kickoff for Football season and I think I watched about 15 minutes if that of football.  It was much better spending the day with my family–including mom bringing breakfast and helping me organize clothes for the boys and start switching out wardrobes for fall/winter. One of my biggest highlights of the day was spending time outside with Jonathan while Josh looked after Jeremiah who was sleeping away in his swing. It was much needed mommy/Johnny time and I loved watching him climb, play, kick his ball and grin huge smiles outside with me. I missed this so much this past week and during the end of my pregnancy because my ability to chase after him became limited. I can’t wait until we have a new routine, I am healed and can get down and play with him lots. He is such a fun energetic little boy! The second highlight was Jeremiah’s first bath. We were geared up for this to be a tear fest for mommy and Jeremiah but he didn’t cry at all! He was very very calm and didn’t even squirm, such a different experience from his big brother–I will eventually stop comparing the two, I promise! But, bathing him, cuddling him and feeding him is such an honor, so humbling to realize God has given me this little boy to look after, care for and nurture. I absolutely love being a mommy to my two precious boys. Life can’t get much sweeter than this…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.